Who can join the programme?
The programme is open to beginners who would like to join Tandridge, but who cannot yet play to a 28 handicap (men) and 40 handicap (ladies). The purpose of the Academy is to help those taking up golf for the first time and for returning golfers to improve their playing ability, in order for them to achieve Post Academy / Full membership as quickly as possible.
How does the programme operate?
- Golfers on the scheme are called Academy Members.
- Although Academy Members are not Members of the Club, they may use the Bar, Changing Rooms, Practice Facilities and the Course in accordance with the terms of the programme. Academy Members may also make bookings for Sunday Lunch, but they cannot sign in guests to play golf.
- Academy Members can participate in the Tandridge Social Programme, in events which do not include golf. Please note that priority will be given to Members, if numbers are limited.
- The programme is for a period of one year and prepares the Academy Member for Post Academy / Full Membership.
- When the required playing ability has been reached, Academy Members are expected to submit 3 scorecards to obtain a WHS Course Handicap handicap of 28 or less for men and 40 or less for ladies. For this purpose, it is possible to submit 9-hole and/or 18-hole scorecards. (54 holes can be submitted via 9-hole cards and a minimum of one 18-hole card). Academy Members will be then encouraged to apply for Post Academy Membership; this may occur before the membership year has finished.
- Please note that certain standards of Dress Code apply in accordance with Club Rules. The Tandridge Dress Code can be found on the Website.
What benefits do I enjoy as an Academy Member?
- Academy Members will be able to use the practice facilities and putting green, but they should note that Full Members always have priority on the practice facilities.
- 100 Range Ball baskets are included; additional baskets may be purchased if required.
- Initial Professional Lesson Package included with your Academy Membership.
Ladies: 12 x 40-minute individual range lessons with one of the Club Professionals.
Men: 12 x 40-minute individual range lessons with one of the Club Professionals.
- For both Ladies and Men, the following rules apply to individual range lessons:
During the Academy membership year, at least 50% of lessons must be taken in the first 6 months. Individual lessons not taken during the Academy membership year may not be rolled over, unless an Academy Member has been admitted as a Full Member. In this case, any lessons not taken must be booked within 3 months of the date of joining as a Full Member.
- Each Academy Member will be assigned at least one Mentor until the required playing standard for Full Membership is reached. The Mentor's role will be to play with you regularly, encourage and guide you through the rules and etiquette of the game. We ask that if at any point in your Academy Membership, you decide that you are not planning to join Tandridge as a Full Member, you inform your Mentor out of courtesy, so that he/she can be assigned to another Academy Member.
- Academy events and competitions may be held to enable you to get used to completing a scorecard.
What access does an Academy Member have to the course?
- For the first 6 months of your Academy Membership, we would expect you to focus on lessons and range practice. The Club Professional will agree with each Academy Member when he/she has reached the required standard to play on the course. The Professional will then inform the Academy Lead, Mentor and General Manager when this has been achieved. We anticipate that this should be within the first six months of joining the programme.
- Once this has been agreed, Academy Members will have access to the course after 11:30 November-March and after 15:00 April-October (golf programme permitting), aligning with Daylight Saving Time Changes. Academy Members will be able to access the Tee Time Booking System (TTBS) and book tee slots within these times.
- We ask that if unaccompanied by the Mentor or a Full/Associate Member, play is in singles and 2-ball format to help maintain a suitable pace of play.
- Academy Members cannot play in Club Roll-ups, Club Matches, Club Competitions or whilst a Club Competition is in play.
What does the programme cost?
- From 1st April 2020 the cost is £795 for 12 months.
- Any food/beverage purchased in the Clubhouse, will be charged at normal menu prices.
What happens when I complete the programme?
- At the end of your initial year (or earlier, if you’ve reached the required playing standard), your Mentor and the Committee Member responsible for the Academy will meet with you to discuss your progress and agree the most suitable way forward towards Post Academy Membership - a transition towards Full membership.
- You will be encouraged to apply for Post Academy Membership of the Club at any time during the programme once you have produced three scorecards which provide you with a handicap equal to or better than the required maximum. You will then go through the Club’s Full Membership process.
How do I apply to join?
- For an application form please contact the Office. Tel: 01883-712274 or via e-mail to Asst.Sec@tandridgegolfclub.com
- Please note that that the Academy programme is currently full so any applications will be added to a Register - Wait Time is likely to be 12 months
Updated March 2022.